Sunday 4 April 2010

No Shame

 

The one thing I have to admit that I really did learn was to have no shame in hospital.  Nurses an doctors want to know all the details about your bodily functions.  When ya pee, when ya do a number 2, quantities, frequency, texture, colour, you name it, someone somewhere wants to record it.
I guess it all adds to the overall picture about the state of your health and how your all important recovery is going and influences when you will be able to leave the 'asylum' as it were.
In some ways once I had got past my Englishness/shyness I got used to these probing questions. I guess it's good training if one day I choose that I want to have kids as I think the whole pregnancy experience is of a similar nature.  

I do have to admit though the no shame thing doesn't go as far as hospital gowns.  They're all open at the back and sometimes it would be good for a patients dignity to be considered.  When I could hardly move it would have been nice to have had more help getting on more clothes before male visitors arrived on the ward in the early afternoon.  It kind of meant that at times I was welded to a chair so that I wouldn't flash people my rather curvy derrière. 

No comments:

Post a Comment